
The topic I would like to discuss with everyone is the drug usage in our nation. Many people are voting to legalize marijuana. Eighty seven percent say it should be legalized. (Tyger, 2007). Many say if it were legalized it would take the marijuana growers out of jail and make room for real criminals. That is true, but marijuana is known as a “gate way drug”. Although it is used in many other countries as a medicine to cure different illnesses, should it be legalized for everyone to use?
According to the article since 1990, nearly 5.9 million Americans have been arrested on marijuana charges. This has increased by 800 percent since 1980. The prison population in the United States is higher than the European Nations by ten to six times. In 2000, more than 734,000 people were arrested in this country for marijuana-related offenses alone. (09De). As I stated earlier, marijuana is a gate way drug. The article states, that it is like any other substance. In this case, it could be like harder drugs. So if marijuana is legalized should we legalize everything else as well? Although marijuana has never caused death as other substances have, could it later? I am sure that at one time, prescription drugs were not causing deaths and were taken correctly, but in time all things change.
My personal opinion, I have seen harder drug usage in the area where I live, so marijuana is a gate way drug. The people who I personally know who are on harder drugs, started experimenting with marijuana when they were at very young age. I understand that not everyone who smokes marijuana becomes a junkie, but there are quite a few that do. I think American should work on being a drug free environment. If you legalize one drug, the next will be to legalize another and before you know it crystal meth, heroin, and crack cocaine will all be legal. Although, the jails are being filled with marijuana growers instead of murders; should drugs be legalized? I grew up in the early 90s, you rarely heard about people overdosing, unless they were a movie star who could actually afford expensive drugs. Now days, there is something on the news everyday about someone who died from an overdose. No, these people do not die from a marijuana overdose, but somewhere in their life this person had smoke marijuana. Therefore, the marijuana “buzz” was not good enough, or it got old; so their goal was to move on to bigger and harder drugs. Marijuana just gave them the first buzz, to get over their fear of experimenting with drugs. So, in my opinion, no I do not agree with marijuana being legalized.
References
(n.d.). Retrieved December 02, 2009. From http://legalizationofmarijuana.com/
Tyger, R. (2007). Retrieved December 02, 2009. From Marijuana.com: http://www.marijuan.com/legalization-decriminalization/23871-legalize.html
Assignment 4-1
According to the article since 1990, nearly 5.9 million Americans have been arrested on marijuana charges. This has increased by 800 percent since 1980. The prison population in the United States is higher than the European Nations by ten to six times. In 2000, more than 734,000 people were arrested in this country for marijuana-related offenses alone. (09De). As I stated earlier, marijuana is a gate way drug. The article states, that it is like any other substance. In this case, it could be like harder drugs. So if marijuana is legalized should we legalize everything else as well? Although marijuana has never caused death as other substances have, could it later? I am sure that at one time, prescription drugs were not causing deaths and were taken correctly, but in time all things change.
My personal opinion, I have seen harder drug usage in the area where I live, so marijuana is a gate way drug. The people who I personally know who are on harder drugs, started experimenting with marijuana when they were at very young age. I understand that not everyone who smokes marijuana becomes a junkie, but there are quite a few that do. I think American should work on being a drug free environment. If you legalize one drug, the next will be to legalize another and before you know it crystal meth, heroin, and crack cocaine will all be legal. Although, the jails are being filled with marijuana growers instead of murders; should drugs be legalized? I grew up in the early 90s, you rarely heard about people overdosing, unless they were a movie star who could actually afford expensive drugs. Now days, there is something on the news everyday about someone who died from an overdose. No, these people do not die from a marijuana overdose, but somewhere in their life this person had smoke marijuana. Therefore, the marijuana “buzz” was not good enough, or it got old; so their goal was to move on to bigger and harder drugs. Marijuana just gave them the first buzz, to get over their fear of experimenting with drugs. So, in my opinion, no I do not agree with marijuana being legalized.
References
(n.d.). Retrieved December 02, 2009. From http://legalizationofmarijuana.com/
Tyger, R. (2007). Retrieved December 02, 2009. From Marijuana.com: http://www.marijuan.com/legalization-decriminalization/23871-legalize.html
Assignment 4-1

Marijuana should have never been criminalized to begin with. The criminalization of this natural herb (not drug) was a political ploy to corner Americans into purchasing their drugs (alcohol, tobacco, and pharmacuetical products) in order to make an absurd profit. And it has worked! There has never been a shred of truth to the "Gateway Drug" nonsense. This statement has been spewed by the media which perhaps you are unaware is completely controlled and regulated by the government. The U.S. government is no different than China's government in that respect, and your nieve if you think otherwise. If your going to take a stance on this issue, you should really conduct your research using global studies where you will find that everything you think you know about Marijuana is not only false but rediculous.
ReplyDelete