Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Rush



Every year on December 25, we know we are going to exchange gifts. So, why is there such a rush after December first? I personally obtain my Christmas gifts all year round. I know am going to have to buy for my immediate family as well as my in-laws. Now, I know not everyone stays the same size, so you cannot exactly purchase clothing. You can buy perfume, designer purses, or toys. I also understand that not all toys are offered all year, but why wait until the last minute. People, who do this, take chances on not purchasing the correct gift or it being too late to return the gift. I understand if you have to purchase an additional gift for a new someone in the family or at the office, but why wait until it is Christmas to start buying gifts. For example, I personally know one woman in my neighborhood, which has 26 grandchildren a long with children, great-grandchildren, in-laws, and friends to buy for; she never starts her shopping until the second week of December. Is it the rush or excitement of purchasing gifts all at once? What happens if you forget someone?
According to the American Research Group, in 2007 the average shopper spent 859 dollars on gifts. Before 2007, many people spent as much as 1,052 dollars on gifts. (2009 Christmas Spending Plans Slightly Below 2008 Levels, 2009). Frequently this much money was spent from those who are last minute shoppers. If you spend all year round, buying and storing up, then it seems you do not spend as much. Technically you do not, for the unpretentious fact that you catch things on sale or at a bargain price so you do not pay full price. If you are a last minute shopper, you do not always catch those deals, because you are in need of a gift to mark someone off your list. So, why the last minute shopping? Why the rush? Why not take your time, purchase nice gifts all year long, and enjoy the Christmas holiday?


References
2009 Christmas Spending Plans Slightly Below 2008 Levels. (2009, November 24). Retrieved December 8,2009, from American Research Group Inc.: http://www.americanresearchgroup.com/holiday/


Assignment 5-1

No comments:

Post a Comment