Sunday, November 29, 2009

What Is Your Stereotype?


My favorite television show is the Golden Girls. I have watched every episode several times. I don’t have a favorite person in the show, I like them all. The show is about four women who are elder who live together. Sophia is the oldest, she is very sarcastic. Dorothy is Sophia’s daughter; she is very realistic and serious. Next there is Rose, is very silly, many would call her dingy. Finally there is Blanche, she loves all men. She is always out to get her a new man. Putting all of these women in one house and you get a very entertaining television show. The question is why this television show is your favorite television show. Well, I love to watch this television show. There is never a dull boring show; it is always funny and entertaining. (Harris, 1985)
According to dictionary.com, a stereotype is a conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image. ( An Ask.com Service). To me a stereotype is an opinion about something. It is how something is looked at of viewed by others. This television show would have different stereotypes hidden in it. The Golden Girls television show would have implicitly well hidden thought-out different episodes. The girls always have drama, as well as trust, and honesty. This show would rarely have explicitly stereotypes during an episode. There is rarely any violence or harsh words. The stereotype of this show would have to be funny, entertaining; the girls all have trust and are very honest with each other. The drama stereotype comes into play when something happens. For example, in one episode, Blanche and Sophia are dating the same man. Therefore, there was a case of drama. Blanche couldn’t understand why a man would want her and Sophia who is older. (Harris, 1985)
The contributions of this stereotype may have come from life experiences. Many men have several different girlfriends at one time, therefore there is drama. Cultural family beliefs may have contributed to some of the stereotypes, such as trust and honesty. These women are like family, since they all live together. Therefore they have built trust and honesty.
My opinion, I think stereotypes emerge because people are so judgmental. Once people form an opinion about you, it is hard to change it. Many people form their opinion without knowing you or anything about you personally. For example, if I was a drunk in my younger days, but after I got married I joined church; there would still be someone with and opinion that I am still a drunk in church. Everyone has an opinion that shapes the stereotypes about others. Like the example I gave before, someone would say,”oh she hasn’t changed and never will.” That would form an image or opinion about me. This is the reason there are many stereotypes on the world.
In my own personal opinion, stereotypes do not fulfill very many functions. Forming a stereotype is simply forming an opinion. This can either hurt a person or support a person. Labeling a stereotype on someone or something follows them throughout the whole career or lifetime. In this case stereotypes are positive. The stereotypes influence the way people view the television show. The Golden Girls show is view as a funny and entertaining television show. Although, there is drama in the television show on different episodes, the drama is view as entertaining. Therefore, the drama would have a positive stereotype.


References
An Ask.com Service (n.d) Retrieved November 27, 2009 from Dictionary.com: http://dictionary.reference.com/
Harris, S. (director). (1985). the Golden Girls [Motion Picture].



Assignment 3-1 Deidre Farley

1 comment:

  1. I always liked this show! Just like you, I never could pick a favorite Golden Girl. I agree with you, stereotypes really do not help anyone. Whether good or bad, I do not believe anyone really wants to be stereotyped. The one aspect about this show I always admired is how the writers really never set out to insult any one particular society, none really. It is nice to find a show where violence does not exist. I wish some of my friends would be more like these wonderful women, always so supportive and if one should foresee a problem, it gets discussed right away.

    ReplyDelete