
“Idols: Reality or Religion”
Religion has been on a steady decline for many years. The reality show “American Idol” is the starting of music culture. According to the article, this has been an attempt to the article; this has been an attempt to distill potential religion-theological implications for contemporary culture. (DiBernardo, 2009). The holy bible states, “You shall not have not other Gods besides me. You shall not carve idols. You shall not bow down before them and worship them.” There are more idols those realities in the world. (DiBernardo, 2009).
There is a mockery being done of the bible when you call it the golden globes. For in the bible it was a golden calf. In this article, music is presented in the form of culture in comparison to the Holy Bible. In other words, the golden globes, idols, and religion have a long history with each other. Although the reality show was just for entertainment, it has now been transformed into a mockery of the Holy Bible. You cannot help but look at the way “American Idol” captures the popular culture’s imagination. The reason this reality show is such a mockery to the religious world is because they are searching for an idol. Not only are those who audition for the part to become an idol, but those who tune in every week, vote, and post blogs, as well as accessing the videos are also a part of the mockery.
I completely understand the articles point, in the bible it says not to have any other idols, but the world has disowned the bible to earn money. Many people today, who are religious, say I can’t watch this of that because of nudity or profanity. These same people will turn in every week to watch a reality show that is searching to another idol in the world except God. This reality show was more than likely made for entertainment, yet it will destruct many homes and lives. Putting another idol in the world will help to destroy the world.
One who is superficial or fake cannot be spiritual. In other words, entertainment cannot be spiritual. One another note, how about the taking pray out of schools, or the ten commandments out of public places. Thou shall not kill should be placed everywhere in this day and time. Where I am from, religion is a big part in people’s lives. Although Christianity is not the only religion, other religions have the same beliefs that you should not kill, steal, or make false gods. Although the article states that many believe that “American Idol”, is a mysterious allure of a superstar idol. (DiBernardo, 2009). It still mocks the illusions of the Holy Bible.
References
DiBernardo, S. (2009). American Idol: A Religious Profanation. Journal of Religion & Popular Culture, 1-1.
Religion has been on a steady decline for many years. The reality show “American Idol” is the starting of music culture. According to the article, this has been an attempt to the article; this has been an attempt to distill potential religion-theological implications for contemporary culture. (DiBernardo, 2009). The holy bible states, “You shall not have not other Gods besides me. You shall not carve idols. You shall not bow down before them and worship them.” There are more idols those realities in the world. (DiBernardo, 2009).
There is a mockery being done of the bible when you call it the golden globes. For in the bible it was a golden calf. In this article, music is presented in the form of culture in comparison to the Holy Bible. In other words, the golden globes, idols, and religion have a long history with each other. Although the reality show was just for entertainment, it has now been transformed into a mockery of the Holy Bible. You cannot help but look at the way “American Idol” captures the popular culture’s imagination. The reason this reality show is such a mockery to the religious world is because they are searching for an idol. Not only are those who audition for the part to become an idol, but those who tune in every week, vote, and post blogs, as well as accessing the videos are also a part of the mockery.
I completely understand the articles point, in the bible it says not to have any other idols, but the world has disowned the bible to earn money. Many people today, who are religious, say I can’t watch this of that because of nudity or profanity. These same people will turn in every week to watch a reality show that is searching to another idol in the world except God. This reality show was more than likely made for entertainment, yet it will destruct many homes and lives. Putting another idol in the world will help to destroy the world.
One who is superficial or fake cannot be spiritual. In other words, entertainment cannot be spiritual. One another note, how about the taking pray out of schools, or the ten commandments out of public places. Thou shall not kill should be placed everywhere in this day and time. Where I am from, religion is a big part in people’s lives. Although Christianity is not the only religion, other religions have the same beliefs that you should not kill, steal, or make false gods. Although the article states that many believe that “American Idol”, is a mysterious allure of a superstar idol. (DiBernardo, 2009). It still mocks the illusions of the Holy Bible.
References
DiBernardo, S. (2009). American Idol: A Religious Profanation. Journal of Religion & Popular Culture, 1-1.

I'm having an extremely difficult time replying to your post because I have never watched American Idol and I have an entirely different system of beliefs. I do not wish to get into a philosophical debate over the hypocracy of religion and Christianity in particular. I certainly do not want to offend you, and in order to not seem disrespectful I will only say that I found some of your comments rather amusing and your views have left me speechless. I will definitely check back to see what you write about next!
ReplyDeleteI really never viewed this show, American Idol, as any connection to, or a comparison of, religion(s) before. I do understand how both may relate to idols, but I'm pretty sure the show was not meant to be a religious comparison. I always thought the American Idol was more or less for those individuals wishing to sing, kind of like having someone to look up to or compete against, but not quite in the same "idol" sense which has been portrayed here. Either way, you certainly gave me something to think about!
ReplyDeleteI understand were this article was going, but I think it took the word "idol" and the definition that fit the argument they wanted to have and ran with it. I have watched an American Idol or two, and have never once thought the show was looking for a karaoke singer to use as the golden calf for the heathens to worship. While it is certainly possible, I tend to think they are just looking to capitalize on someone's 15 minutes of fame to make a quick buck.
ReplyDelete